Monday 3 December 2012

A sigh of relief

For all of you who are stuck in work and wondering if your missing out or considering having a day off !!! then fear not. Well not few the next few days at least.

Last night the hills were stripped with very little snow left. The temps did rise as the forecast suggested. However,  the temps have gone down since this morning.  I forgot the camera today on the hill but to give you a feel let me explain.

Tryfan is bare apart from a scattering near the top. Glyders are the same with Glogwyn Ddu being bare/black also. The back of cwm is dotted with snow and not looking white.

Tops of Carneddau have the most snow, not sure on the crags.  I went  onto Y Garn this afternoon and this is holding a small amount of snow in Banana Gully which I went up. To be fair the snow required step kicking and was not wet. Once the temps drop this will give a nice outing on neve at grade 1. The snow line is at the base of the buttress in the cwm. Snow on the top 100m was hard and water ice was on the paths above 800m.

Based on this and reports from weekend I would say Cwm Lloer will be the same.

Grib Goch is bare and is the Parsons Nose apart from the very top. Snowdon was in the cloud.

We could do with the turf freezing before the snow comes again and as I write this post, its hailing outside and I am at 100m above sea level.

The forecast suggest more snow and lower temps this coming week. This is all very good whatever happens. It is so good to have some conditions this side of XMAS.

I will not post until Friday of this week as I am away working in Yorkshire taking a group caving, no need for me to worry about snow conditions for a few days. Check out yesterdays post if you have not done so.

The pics below are on my drive back from work taken at midday.

Carneddau


Back end of Glyders


No comments: